Thursday, November 12, 2009

Girlfriends

I love my girlfriends. You know, the kind you absolutely love through high school and room with at college and then move away from with your new husband. You keep in touch frequently for a couple of years then the kids start coming, while you still think of each other contact becomes annually with a Christmas card and a photo.

The beautiful thing about girlfriends is that after years of snail mail communication, you pick up the phone and call one and it feels like you've never been apart. You still laugh about the old times, talk about your beautiful children and the prince charming that swept you off your feet.

I received a phone call from the daughter of my best high school/college girlfriend. She wanted me to know that at the age of 47 her mom passed away from colon cancer on November 5, 2009. I have thought of nothing else for the last week and shed tears for the pain and suffering she experienced. I am sorry I didn't pick up the phone more often to chat and laugh about old times, something we always did really well, talk and laugh.


I love the plan of salvation and the promise of eternal families and friendships. Most of all I love Tonya Larsen, she's the kind of girlfriend we all need.



4 comments:

Christie said...

Oh, so sorry, my friend. She sounds like a real gem. Here's to being better about keeping in touch!

the wrath of khandrea said...

this is sad. i'm sad for you.

diane said...

I'm sorry. I lost a childhood friend unexpectedly about a month ago. It is so sad. I wrote down some of my memories of her and sent them to her daughter. It was hard but healing.

Hang in.

Annie said...

Oh, Anna. I'm so, so sorry. What a loss. You're right...longtime (and eternal!) friends are priceless.