
It's funny how things sometimes happen. Last winter I noticed a flyer on the bulletin board in the hall at church. The local hospital is recruiting and training volunteers in their hospice department.
"Hmmm... Could I do this?" I asked myself. I jotted down the phone number and stuck it in my purse. A month later while cleaning out my purse I found the phone number and set it aside on my desk. Still another month later while cleaning my desk I saw the phone number again and couldn't bring myself to throw it away. I was dragging my feet about getting involved with this volunteer organization. I placed the small piece of paper next to my computer monitor, there it sat in plain sight, staring at me, calling out to me.
"Hmmm... Could I do this?" I asked myself. I jotted down the phone number and stuck it in my purse. A month later while cleaning out my purse I found the phone number and set it aside on my desk. Still another month later while cleaning my desk I saw the phone number again and couldn't bring myself to throw it away. I was dragging my feet about getting involved with this volunteer organization. I placed the small piece of paper next to my computer monitor, there it sat in plain sight, staring at me, calling out to me.
A week later I happened to be running errands in town and sat a red stoplight, a very long red light. Glancing around I saw a sign with the name of organization recruiting the volunteers and felt an impression: make the call, this is what you need to do.
Here I am 9 months later fully trained with my volunteer badge and my first assignment. I will be visiting 3 patients in a local assisted living center who all have dementia. I am nervous and excited, can I give them the friendship they long for? What can I learn from them, from their years of living? So, here I go, taking a deep breath and holding a prayer in my heart that I can be an instrument in the Lord's hands. He is, after all, the one who told me to make the phone call.
3 comments:
You will be FANTASTIC. And isn't it funny when we are directed to things that we maybe wouldn't have thought we'd want to do? You will be amazing, my friend.
i agree with christie. you are well-suited to such an endeavor.
i agree with christie. you are well-suited to such an endeavor.
Post a Comment