Now there is a huge blizzard coming our way with a promise for 20 inches of pure-white glorious mess on the ground. As I bemoan my current situation the lovely one-of-a-kind flakes are falling to the already frozen ground.
Please don't worry, we are prepared. We have food, satellite TV, gasoline in the cars, and too many board games to list. Of course we only have one snow shovel, guess who's gonna use that?
I'm off to make some whip up some warm goodies for the old man shoveling the driveway and front walk.
There has been a three-day pause in my writing and I'm just now completing this post. Here's the rest of our snow-filled adventures.
A few days ago after the 18" of snowfall Murray was calling each single sister in our ward to check on them and found a few who needed help shoveling their driveway. Before he left to lend a helping hand we received a call from our Bishop asking us if we could take in a young family in our ward whose home lost power. This was definitely something I did not want to do. Now, nothing against this young family, I don't know them but in my defense; they have a young toddler and I didn't want to play "hostess with the most-est". But I suddenly remembered a commitment I made to support the Bishop. I could think of ten thousand other places they could go but the Bishop didn't ask for suggestions.
Their home teacher (whose power was also out) brought them over and I put on my hostess smile. I quickly put on my thinking cap and came up with something for dinner because it was Super Bowl Sunday and we made plans to snack on goodies today and throughout the evening.
Sometime that night before the Super Bowl ended the power was restored to their neighborhood. They stayed until the next day and made their way back home. So now I have a question for you. When you are a guest do you clean up after yourself? Do you strip the dirty sheets off the bed and ask the hostess what she'd like you to do with them or leave the bed unmade? Would you fold up the blankets you cuddled under while watching the game neatly or leave them in piles on the couches? There's more I'm curious about but I'll stop there.
I think back to when we were young parents and imagine we still had some maturing to do. I hope we were polite guests and left our hostess with no added burden of cleaning up our mess. In support of our young guests, I'm sure they would have rather been in their own home around their own comforts and routine.
So tonight we are getting even more snow, 10" the experts tell us. Snow on top of snow. Best of all, my man of the hour is coming back in town just in time to don his boots and grab the shovel again.
1 comment:
I always try to clean up after myself, but have had guests leave dirty diapers in the guest bathroom garbage can. Gross.
Post a Comment