Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Piece by Piece

Just a few years ago I was bitten by the quilting bug during our stay at Fort Leavenworth. Commonly dubbed "the best year of your life" by the US Army community, which is only true from the service member's experience.  The quarters they assigned us to live in were run-down, filled with mice and just plain disgusting.   But... I digress.

While living in the dilapidated 4-plex, my neighbor opened her medicine cabinet and peeked through the slot where you drop used razor blades and seeing me in my own bathroom with my medicine cabinet door open said "hey, do you think there would be any interest among the ladies in our cul-de-sac to learn how to quilt?"   I jumped at the chance, because you know, quilters are awsome and very fun to be around.  I wanted to be like that. Psyche!!  I just wanted to learn how to create beautiful quilts.  

I am in the beginning stages of creating a quilt with beautiful fabric and I can't wait to see the end result.  I cut over 200 triangles out of yummy batik print fabrics.  Now I'm off to assemble the triangles.  

3 comments:

Catherine Peterson said...

Looks like fun!

the wrath of khandrea said...

i can't get past the part about the shared medicine cabinets. that is too much.

although...

maybe we would've loved lawton a little bit more had we shared a medicine cabinet. can you even imagine?!

Emily said...

Uhh, I still have your quilt book that you loaned me something like 6 or 7 years ago--sorry. Guess I'll have to make a little trip south to return it!