
This guy was wearing a path in the tall grass of the median today. His placard read UNEMPLOYED, HUNGRY. While my light dragged slowly through it's red cycle I watched him stroll the length of cars waiting to make the left turn. We were all sitting ducks.
I'm uncomfortrable to say the least. As he walks by my car window and looks at me, I actually feel a slight tinge of uncertainty with my decision not to give him any money. Am I really doing the right thing here? The problem is that I know there are jobs to be had in our town. He doesn't appear to be unhealthy or a mental case. And now I'm telling you what I miser I am.
Curbside begging is a regular practice here and it must be a lucrative endeavor because I see the same men over and over year round. The town council is suggesting legislation to ban begging at intersections. That would make my drive to church very pleasant, no gulit trip and I still have my lunch money.
1 comment:
we have a lady that sets a chair and umbrella up at the intersection btw walmart and goodwill. she is there every weekend, some weekdays, just sitting under her umbrella reading a book. she holds the same sign as your guy.
i am a generous person, and fairly compassionate, even if i do say so myself. which i just did.
however, i feel it's only fair to say that if she spent as much time looking for a job as she does reading her novels under that umbrella, she might actually cease to be unempolyed.
i give her nothing.
Post a Comment