Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Whole Day With My Husband

During Sunday dinner two days ago we discussed our family schedule for the coming week. I was happy to hear Murray say that his Monday is pretty free. When he isn't traveling for work, he works from his office in our home. So.. having a day that is pretty free means that he doesn't have too many conference calls or meetings to attend. He suggested that we go to the commissary. We began to formulate our schedule for Monday. We planned our day to look something like this, get up and hop on the treadmill, then take Rusty, our dachshund, for a walk around the neighborhood. Shower and head to the Commissary, a 45 minute drive from our home. Once we get to the base a visit to the PX before the commissary is a must. Rush through the PX and Commissary and hurry to the dentist for my cleaning at 1:50. Maybe there will be time for an afternoon movie before we head home for dinner and FHE.

In reality it turned out like this. Wake up, Murray is drawn to his office like a magnet. "Just to check my email, something important might have come in over the night" And then just 3 conference calls with co-workers and he's calling out to me are you ready to go? By this time I knew there was no way we were going to stay on "our schedule". So, I called the dentist's office and asked if they had an available opening later in the afternoon, lucky for me they did, a 4:00 PM appointment. "I'll take it".

Needless to say, we did not hop on the treadmill or walk Rusty or make it to the accountant's office. We did make it to the PX and I went inside while Murray stayed in the car and participated in another conference call from his cell phone. 30 minutes later I called his cell phone and told him there was a nice pair of pants, please come in and try them on. Well the pants did not fit well but he found a nice shirt that he liked. So after we paid for our stuff he went back to the car, for "just a short conference call" and I went to the commissary. When I finally made it to my assigned check-out lane, my cell phone rang. It was Murray, "where are you in here". "I'm at check-out lane 13". "Okay, I'll wait outside for you". I stepped up to the cashier and she asked for my ID card. I told her mine expired and my husband has his with him, I will call him and tell him to come inside. She would not begin to ring up my purchases until she saw the ID. AND, he had to be the one to pay. New rules for the commissary?

Heading back towards town and the dentist's office was a quiet drive, me reading a newly purchased magazine and Murray on two more business calls. One to a co-worker who is taking a leave of absence for 12 months and another to someone else important. We arrived at the dentist's office at 3:00 PM. Oh well, I'll go on inside, maybe they will be able to see me early. No problem, Murray had more calls to take and after my appointment, I found him in the lobby of the building just outside the elevator sitting on the floor with his laptop plugged into the wall. "Just going through my 428 emails" he said.

So we went home and made some awesome grilled club sandwiches and spent our FHE helping Emma plan her service project. She wants to visit the old folks home and provide entertainment for the residents. I'll keep you posted.

It really was fun to spend the day with Murray, he is fun and comes with some great fringe benefits.

1 comment:

the wrath of khandrea said...

you are a patient woman. i would've dropped his cell phone in the toilet and tossed the laptop out a nearby window.
all in the name of love, of course.