
A couple of years ago my friends were talking about the yard boy on a TV show called Desperate Housewives. Having NEVER watched the show, I can only assume from the conversations I heard he was a cute young man.
We are living in a fairly new neighborhood. Our neighbors are pretty much the only source of information on reputable landscapers, painters, woodworkers, etc. And that's how we got Mike's name. He has done work for us over the last 3 years. He is rough around the edges and talks a mile a minute. He steps up real close into your personal bubble while he talks to you. It's like the two of us are dancing out in the yard. He moves closer, I back up. Then I turn to point out a sickly Holly tree and he's right back in my bubble.
BUT, I don't mind too much. Mike always brings up the subject of Mormons and asks questions about what we believe. He isn't interested in spending time with the missionaries (already asked him that). He always has a smile on his face. He asks about Murray and Lanie and Emma. Then tells me about his family. He repeatedly reminds me that 3 years ago I told him he was "expensive".
Today he told me he would send the tree doctor over to diagnose my holly trees. He will replace any that are deemed diseased, this is 3 years after he planted them, ie: replace them at no cost to me. What a guy. He then told me he was just diagnosed with Leukemia and will be hospitalized for a 7-day chemotherapy treatment. But then he's back at work and will come and work on my gutter drain pipes and reconfigure the pipes that carry the drainage away from the house. Tonight he cleaned out my gutters and wouldn't charge me a penny.
I started this blog entry tonight to share the humorous experiences I've had with Mike as my landscaper. He makes me laugh because I find him totally clueless to his appearance and the way he interacts with his clients. I have never seen him clean shaven or with his hair combed and trimmed. He starts talking to me and I can't get away. But I am going to change the emphasis of my words because I saw him in different light tonight. I saw him as Heavenly Father sees him. This is an answer to my prayers, that I can see others as God sees them. It helps me to love even those who are I normally wouldn't seek out. So in a month or so if he shows up on my doorstep without all of his hair, I hope I recognize him.
By the way, I'm putting a check in the mail to him tomorrow.
2 comments:
i like you anna. you are such a good person. this was a great and uplifting post. thanks.
Ditto what Andrea said. I like you, too. What a great reminder. Thanks, friend.
Post a Comment